- Users will be able to choose 2 of 5 games for the PS3 to download and keep forever. There will be a 30-day period for these games to be downloaded free of charge after the PSN Store relaunches. The games are Little Big Planet, Infamous, Dead Nation, Super Stardust HD, and Wipeout HD + Fury.
- PSP owners will be able to select 2 of 4 games, which are Little Big Planet (PSP), ModNation Racers (PSP), Pursuit Force, and Killzone Liberation. 30-day period applies here as well.
- There will be "On Us" rental movies for one weekend when the video service is available. Available titles have not been announced yet.
- Sony is giving 30 free days of PlayStation Plus membership to non-subscribers, and 60-days to subscribers.
- Just so you don't forget about it, Sony announced 100 free virtual items in PlayStation Home. Nice try, Sony.
While I'm disappointed that they were hit so hard by the hackers, I can't say that I am mad at Sony (though I wasn't ever). They should have been more well-prepared, but it seems that they have learned their lesson and are doing a great deal to make it right with their customers. The hackers are the ones who we should be mad at, as they caused a major inconvenience to the tens of millions of PSN users.
Anyway, I think Sony has handled the restoration of PSN well so far, and offering the welcome back packages is a good way to win back or keep customer loyalty. I'll be picking up Infamous and Wipeout HD, as I own LBP already (which I would highly recommend).
The details of the "Customer Appreciation Program" can be found here.